SHACKLETON NEWS ARCHIVE
SHACKLETON'S QUEST SPONSOR FURTHERING MEDICAL RESEARCH
The First World War interrupted the Institute's early progress but John Boyd Orr returned to Aberdeen in 1919 and with a staff of four started work in the new laboratory. Orr was determined to open a new building to house the Institute, but needed funds to match any Government grant. He was fortunate to meet John Quiller Rowett, a wealthy man who was the Director of a wine and spirits merchants based in London.
The Institute was formally opened in 1922 by Queen Mary with a tree planting ceremony. A library was added thanks to two further donations of £5,000 from Mr. Walter A. Reid, and later an experimental farm. Today, the Institute is at the centre of several major initiatives to assist the food industry to reach new markets and increase sales by developing healthier products.