SHACKLETON NEWS ARCHIVE
A MAGNIFICENT UNDERTAKING THAT HAS BORNE RICH DIVIDENDS
The museum is housed in what was formerly the Manager's villa for the busy whaling station in Grytviken, above which Shackleton is buried. Initially conceived as a whaling museum, it scope now embraces many aspects of South Georgia's heritage and also natural history.
Perhaps the most satisfying news for Shackleton enthusiasts is that the Museum has now acquired, thanks to diligent fundraising by the SGHT, a replica of the James Caird.
The (originally, Whaling) Museum was originally conceived by David Wynn-Williams, a British Antarctic scientist, and then taken forward by the biologist, naturalist and conservationist Nigel Bonner, a former Deputy Director of the British Antarctic Survey, whose links with the island likewise date back to 1953. It was set up with funding from the South Georgia Government and the enthusiastic assistance of a small team, in 1991. In 2006 the South Georgia Heritage Trust took over the management of the Museum.