SHACKLETON NEWS ARCHIVE
Ivor Davies has written to say that Shackleton, Western Australia was named in honour of Sir Ernest Shackleton, the celebrated Antarctic explorer.
The townsite named Shackleton, though still relatively undeveloped, is located in the central agricultural region of WA, 209 km east of Perth and 32 km west of Bruce Rock.
It came into being originally because of the railway line running from Quairading to Bruce Rock. The location was approved as a railway siding in 1913, the year the railway line opened; and it was probably then, following his fame with the Nimrod expedition, that it was first named.
A decade later, in 1925, a townsite was gazetted at the siding and likewise was named Shackleton, after Sir Ernest.
To visit the webpage and see ten of Ivor Davies's photos of Shackleton, visit 'Our page in history' by clicking on the link below.